Allergists vs ENTs

Allergists/Immunologists are highly trained specialists that diagnose, treat, and manage allergic inflammation of all types through nonsurgical methods.

Common reasons to see an Allergist/Immunologist include:

    • Frequent sinus infections
    • Sinus or facial pressure
    • Ear fullness, pressure, or popping in the ears
    • Itching in the ears or back of the throat
    • Nasal congestion, difficulty breathing through the nose, runny nose, sneezing
    • Itchy, red, or watery eyes
    • Recurrent throat clearing or post nasal drainage
    • Voice changes or hoarseness
    • Chronic cough
    • Asthma, shortness of breath, wheezing
    • Recurring bronchitis
    • Atopic dermatitis
    • Immunodeficiency
    • Concern for food allergies

Head and Neck Surgery, otolaryngologists (ENTs) specialize in dealing with disorders and conditions of the ear, nose, and throat, including related areas of the neck and head. ENT doctors are experts in surgical and medical management of:

    • Ear: ENT specialists treat ear disorders or conditions such as ear infections, hearing loss, balance disorders (vertigo), pain in your ear, or ringing in the ears (tinnitus). ENT doctors can also treat ear disorders you were born with.
    • Head and Neck: If you experience cancerous tumors, deformities, trauma, or diseases of the neck, face, and head, ENT doctors can do cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in these areas. Problems with nerves in the head and neck controlling smell, sight, hearing, and facial movements can also be managed.
    • Nose: ENT doctors often manage and treat issues affecting the nose, sinuses, and nasal cavity. These issues may affect your breathing, smell, or physical appearance.
    • Throat: An ENT doctor can help manage and treat conditions or disorders of the throat can affect your eating, swallowing, digestion, speech, and even singing.

Allergists go through extensive training specifically in allergy and immunology, whereas ENT’s may have only received general training in the area. Allergists are the experts of the allergy and immunology field.

All skin testing, intradermal testing, and patch testing is interpreted by the MD in this practice.. This allows for expert interpretation of tests as soon as completed.

If you suspect that you have a sinus or breathing issues related to allergies or asthma, consider seeing a Board Certified Allergist/Immunologist who can help diagnose, treat, and effectively control your symptoms through non-surgical methods.